619 Lake Ave. 3rd Flr Asbury Park, NJ 07712
Submitted by Bill Lee and the rest of Walking with Cavemen. Known around the Bandsonabudget.com office as an exceptionally great band, this New Brunswick-based band can be discovered here: www.walkingwithcavemen.com
1. What was the first record/cassette/CD that you owned and how did it change you? (Bill) Phil Collins' 'But Seriously.." I had this cassette when I was 5 years old, well my mother had it. It changed my life. I was able to somehow figure out the melodic line of the chorus in "Another Day in Paradise" I remember vividly my mother freaking out and calling my grandmother. Shortly after I was taking piano lessons.
2. If you could pick any musician's brain over a beer, who would it be?(Bill) John Frusciante. I met him once. He is vastly knowledgeable about things like engineering, (audio) space & time & ghosts, song writing, and general music wizardry. I want to be his grasshopper.
3. What would the name of your band's biography be? "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" Actually there already is a film.... its called BBC's "Walking with cavemen" and its about primates.
4. Which musician would you be most comfortable dating your mom? George Michael
5. Name your dream tour: up to 5 bands, dead or alive. The Beatles, Bethoven (solo) Blur, T-Rex, Son House. We wouldn't play we would just haul gear and hang out.
6. How would it feel to play with your favorite band? It would feel like sitting on Santa's lap, only with music.
7 & 8 What's the funniest moment your band has ever experienced? … the craziest/most bizarre? It was impossible to pin down either of these questions. All responses relate to testicles.
9. Who are you musically influenced by that no one would ever guess by listening to your music? Aside from our drummer, we've all at one time or another or currently have been influenced by different types of american punk rock and hardcore/post hardcore music. Our music is not very "punk" at all, but it really is at the heart of what we do.
10. Tell us about the most unique member of your band and why he/she has earned this title. Mark( guitar) is the most unique because he is provocative. We also call him Mike sometimes. Mike is fierce and likes to dance. Mark is solemn and nurturing.
11. If someone invested a million dollars into your band, how would you use the money? We would upgrade our recording studio and quit our jobs to make the record we dream about making.
12. How do you feel being on stage when the audience is having an amazing time? I can speak for the band, and for most bands, that when that occurs, its a real blur and a real zonking effect. Youre just on muscle memory at that point. When I used to play guitar in bands I'd be doing so much I couldn't really pay attention to the audience. Now that I'm on bass, I like to make eye contact. I like to allow actual words and thought processes to happen while playing a show.
13. Which 5 songs would you cover if you had a cover band? That would never happen. But: #1 Billy Brag- Levi Stubb's Tears. #2 Rolling Stones-Citadel #3 Tom Petty-You're So Bad #4 Blur-Tender #5 Misfits-Where Eagles Dare
14. If you swapped ipods with other members of your band, what's the most surprising music you'd find? You'd find a whole lot of recordings of farts and pooping uploaded via certain members' cell phones. That's no joke.
15. Name the place you'd most like to play a show, anywhere in the world. The Grand Canyon, only its filled with people partying hard.
16. What's the most memorable musicial moment of your life? So far, Santos Party House was a big night for us as a unit. Biggest show we've played, best sound etc. We each have our own personal highs though. This is a band comprised of people that have played in many projects prior to this. We're old blues men now.
17. If you got a band tattoo, which band would it be? It would be a pepsi can that says "Blur" on it instead of pepsi. Im actually getting this and it will be my only band tattoo for life.
18. Tell us a situation where another band really helped you out. We don't like to be negative, but we can't really think of one. Aside from getting lots of show invites from other bands, we've had more problems than help outs so far. Maybe that will change in 2010.
19. What moment has made all of the hard work being a musician worth it? It's not one moment, it can't be. We're a young band, but it's the progression that makes it worth it. Listening to rehearsal tapes, early ep's etc, and seeing how you've grown as musicians and friends is where it's at.
20. If your band was a comic, what would each member's super power be? Trevor: Tear power: The power to get upset and fill a room with tears, drowning everyone in under a minute.
Dan: Bear Power: The power to change one's beard into any conceivable object. i.e. Beard Sword
Mark: Cat Eye: The Power to influence a person for good...or evil
Todd: Charles Manson's Brain: The Power to know 100's of random Charles Manson interview quotes, which doubles as the power to make Billy laugh at all times.
Bill: Iron Fist: Self explanatory.