Answers from Kiirstin (vocals), Greg (bass) and Corinne (flute/clarinet/sax/back-up vocals) of Verity in Stereo. You can check these guys and gals out at www.verityinstereo.com.
1. What was the first record/cassette/CD that you owned and how did it change you? KIIRSTIN: The first two I owned were presents from my mom when I was about 8. They were Mariah Carey and Paula Abdul. They made me realize that I could own music and didn't have to just listen to it on the radio. GREG: One of the first cd's I remember buying was Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You." It didn't really change me, just annoyed my Mom because I listened to it over and over again. CORINNE: The Beatles and Queen were introduced to me at a very, very young age (all of them..the parents already had them all). They were my first introduction to the world of rock and roll and I took one listen and fell in love. Those tapes were played on repeat hundreds of times a day for the first 6 years of my life.
2. If you could pick any musician's brain over a beer, who would it be? KIIRSTIN: Brandon Boyd of Incubus GREG: James Jamerson was the bassist on all the hit Motown records CORINNE: Brian May from Queen or George Harrison. They're tied.
3. Which musician would you be most comfortable dating your mom? KIIRSTIN: Paul McCartney, I think that would make her life. GREG: Sting, He's quite the lover CORINNE: Brian May!
4. What's the funniest moment your band has ever experienced? KIIRSTIN: There are way too many to pick just one but Craig and Mikal ragging on each other is always hilarious. GREG: My favorite moment is when Mikal used the voice modulator to sound like Sloth from the Goonies. "Baby Ruth?" CORINNE: Well, I've only been playing with them 6 months, but we've definitely shared tons of laughs together. The 'junk joggin' moment was pretty hilarious
5. ...the craziest/most bizarre? GREG: When Craig spit beats for a random poor guy on the streets of Brooklyn. CORINNE: hmmmm...the only thing that comes to mind is when we were playing the Italian festival and the power went out during one of our sets.
6. Who are you musically influenced by that no one would ever guess by listening to your music? KIIRSTIN: Glassjaw - we sound NOTHING like them, but I definitely look to Daryl for vocal inspiration GREG: I listen to a lot of Jazz, which might not come through on our recordings. I really don't know. CORINNE: Freddie Mercury, he puts a classical twist on rock music that not many musicians have accomplished or even attempted.
7. Tell us about the most unique member of your band and why he/she has earned this title. KIIRSTIN: Definitely Mikal. If you met him at a bar you would never think he'd be the type of kid to play keyboard in a band. GREG: I think we're all unique but the most is Mikal in my opinion. You never really know what he's thinking and he'll prove you wrong every time you think you do. CORINNE: The eggs...end of story.
8. If someone invested a million dollars into your band, how would you use the money? KIIRSTIN: Tour bus!!! AND recording, AND posters of us plastered everywhere, AND t-shirts, stickers, etc, GREG: PAYOLA..haha j/k. I would want to buy a van, with seats, and tour everywhere in the US, buy everyone new instruments, and build a nice recording studio. CORINNE: recording, and European tour!
9. How do you feel being on stage when the audience is having an amazing time? KIIRSTIN: I've been performing since I was 2 years old, but I just started performing my own music about 5 years ago. You always feed off the crowd's energy when performing, but when your own stuff is appreciated its even that much more amazing. GREG: I love it when you get good vibes from the crowd. It's one of the best feelings ever. CORINNE: It's always an amazing feeling to have the crowd really into the music when you're on stage. For those 40 minutes, you feel like a complete rock star.
10. What's the most memorable musical moment of your life? KIIRSTIN: Touring. I love being on the road. GREG: Playing the CD release show at the Pony CORINNE: Definitely name in lights at the Stone Pony.
11. Tell us a situation where another band really helped you out. KIIRSTIN: Anytime you forget equipment for a show you go into a state of panic. So many great bands have let us borrow floor toms, cymbals, and amps just so we could have a good show. GREG: I got to go to Canada with Hsu-Nami just because I was friends with all of them. That was pretty cool.
12. What moment has made all of the hard work being a musician worth it? KIIRSTIN: I don't think I've hit that moment yet. It will be the moment I can quit my day job and go on tour full-time. GREG: There aren't specific moments. I just look back at my life and I'm happy that I've chosen to pursue music. It has brought me most of my happiness throughout my life. CORINNE: Honestly, when you can walk in to a group of musicians and everything just seems to fall into place, that's the moment for me.
13. If your band was a comic, what would each member's super power be? CORINNE: Kiirstin- she'd be like Storm from x-men, ability to control the weather Greg- mind control...DEFINITELY hah, Craig- he'd be stretch armstrong Mikal- oh boy...I guess his would be the ability to fly Me-invisibility