Laura Monzo in a paragraph is impossible, but we can try. The basics – she’s 25, she’s a talented singer-songwriter based in NYC. A brunette. Now the tough part: the insides. She’s warm, weird, youthful, tempestuous, compassionate, willful, hormonal, deeply spiritual, jaundiced and jaded, wide-eyed and pure-hearted, good, bad, introverted, extroverted, petty and girlish, ponderously deep, joyous, moody, loving, angry, depressed, sunny, funny, sweet. Confused. Her music encapsulates and amplifies this mixed-up, effed-up emotional bricolage, laying it on an insanely catchy sonic bed of hook-filled pop rock. Check out her aptly-named debut EP “Manic” or see her live for a better idea. Maybe you can figure her out…
1. What was the first record/cassette/CD that you owned and how did it change you?
Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt. After listening to Gwen Stefani - I knew I was meant to sing in a band.
2. If you could pick any musician's brain over a beer, who would it be?
This is all going to be so repetitive - but Gwen Stefani of course!
3. What would the name of your band's biography be?
Laura Monzo - "Drippin' Sass" ;)
4. Which musician would you be most comfortable dating your mom?
My mom rules - so I would definitely pick Pat Monohan from Train because he is super good looking and totally smooth (plus she LOVES him) - http://media.fanfire.com/images/product/large/PMO/PMOCD001.jpg
5. Name your dream tour: up to 5 bands, dead or alive.
No Doubt, Butch Walker, Ingrid Michaelson, KT Tunstall, Ryan Adams
6. How would it feel to play with your favorite band?
I can't even imagine or think about it.
7. What's the funniest moment your band has ever experienced?
When we played at Great Adventure for 90.5 Live and Local - we took all the back roads in the park to get to the stage with one of the staff members in the grossest van ever. It was really funny - and ride parts with laying around everywhere.
8. ? the craziest/most bizarre?
I have been pretty lucky to have smooth sailing performances - no good stories to tell...yet.
9. Who are you musically influenced by that no one would ever guess by listening to your music?
I grew up listening to a lot of Billy Joel and Gloria Estefan - for a good 10 years! I love me some Miami Sound Machine!
10. Tell us about the most unique member of your band and why he/she has earned this title.
I am a solo artist now and going through a band member transition - but my dad did play bass for my band for 2 years! He would wear his fedora and make his bass playing face!
11. If someone invested a million dollars into your band, how would you use the money?
I would for sure use it to tour around for a year and get some experience. Live a little more so I could get some serious inspiration to write more songs.
12. How do you feel being on stage when the audience is having an amazing time?
It's terrible! I just hate it when people enjoy my songs and dance around! ;)
13. Which 5 songs would you cover if you had a cover band?
I am actually starting a cover band with my best gal pal Anjelia. We plan to cover a lot of Taylor Swift, Usher, Ke$ha, Gavin Degraw and Britney Spears! I can't just pick 5 songs - there are so many I want to learn.
14. If you swapped ipods with other members of your band, what's the most surprising music you'd find?
I am currently playing solo - but my Ipod for sure has a lot of different artist.
15. Name the place you'd most like to play a show, anywhere in the world.
I would love to play at Madison Square Garden - I know I am dreaming big here. I have seen a lot of shows there and the energy is amazing. Everything about it rules from the people to being in the greatest city ever.
16. What's the most memorable musicial moment of your life?
Playing at The Stone Pony was really amazing and fun! My whole family came out to see me and it was really special.
17. If you got a band tattoo, which band would it be?
A pair of lips with the word "Sweet Talker" written in the middle.
18. Tell us a situation where another band really helped you out.
I have met a lot of really nice musicians in the Asbury scene - we all help each other with getting gigs. It's a nice little scene :)
19. What moment has made all of the hard work being a musician worth it?
My CD release party made it all worth it - Espresso Joe's in Keyport letting me fill the place with friends and family was the perfect way to celebrate!
20. If your band was a comic, what would each member's super power be?
It's only me - and I would totally be a fantastic Catwomen or Wonder Women - just because I love their outfits!